Leica S2 Notes
Announced to most people's surprise in September 2008, the Leica S2 is a "medium format" DSLR system using new auto-focus "S-System" Leica lenses.
Details are very sketchy at the moment, but the following will get Leicaphiles started.
BTW wasn't there already a "Leica S" digital camera a few years ago? Indeed there was, but it was a tethered scanning digital back. See this Sept 2008 discussion post by Eric Chan. Hence the designation "S2" for the new camera.
- 30mm x 45mm Kodak CCD sensor, 37.5 MPixels
- DNG RAW and JPEG
- Weather-sealed metal camera body
- Single-point auto-focus with manual override
- Dual-shutter system, using either a focal plane or lens-leaf-shutter for "CS" lenses
- New line of 9x Leica-S lenses, from 24mm to 350mm
- Depending on the LFT distance, there may be a R-lens to S-body adapter
- Has a shutter-speed dial (8s - 1/4000), but lenses don't have aperture rings
- Leica in-house designed with input from "top professional photographers"
- ETA, "summer" 2009
- Price? (CEO Kaufmann hopes for less than € 15K Euro for the body…)
Because the S2 has a 30mm x 45mm sensor, use the following table to estimate the 35mm focal length equivalence for S-System lenses:
Field of View
|24 mm||96.8 °||19 mm|
|30 mm||84.0 °||24 mm|
|35 mm||75.3 °||28 mm|
|70 mm||42.2 °||56 mm|
|90 mm||33.4 °||72 mm|
|100 mm||30.2 °||80 mm|
|120 mm||25.3 °||96 mm|
|180 mm||17.0 °||144 mm|
|350 mm||8.83 °||280 mm|
- Leica Website "S-System" link (see also their dedicated S-System website)
- S2 Fashion shoot sample photos (by Robert Grischek, Dec 2008)
- S2 VIP launch event (report, details and photos of the event and camera, courtesy of David Farkas)
- DP Review (details, camera photos and Leica press release)
- Photography Blog (details, camera photos and a side-by-side comparison with the Canon 5D)
- Wired Magazine Gadgets Blog ("More Pixels, More Money")